Muni subway closing early every night until January 2016
Evening travelers take note: beginning on July 31, 2015, SFMTA will be working on several projects to upgrade the City’s Muni subway system that will require early subway shutdowns, seven nights a week, with bus shuttles replacing subway service until the projects are completed in January 2016.
From SFMTA’s web page about the project:
Substitute Shuttle Service for Radio and Blue Light Projects
While the subway is closed to rail service, replacement bus service will be provided between Embarcadero and St. Francis Circle for the K/T, L and M lines. A bus bridge will also be in place for the N Line between Church & Duboce and Caltrain Depot at 4th and King street and for the T Line between Mission Rock and Embarcadero. Regular rail service will continue to operate at outer stops. See map for bus routes and stops.
In order to ensure that the tunnel is clear of trains at 10 p.m., depending on where you catch the train, service might end as early as 9:30 p.m. (example: Embarcadero may clear as early as 9:30 p.m., whereas Castro last train may be at 9:45 p.m.). Bus shuttle service will be operational by 9:30 p.m. each night.
Important Information on Service Adjustments:
Muni Metro customers can board bus shuttles at the island F streetcar line stops adjacent to subway stations on Market Street (look for the yellow half-moon sign).
- The inbound J Church will end at Church and Market. Customers can transfer to bus shuttle at F streetcar stops on Market Street.
- The inbound N Judah will switch back at Church & Duboce. Customers getting off the train can walk one block to Market Street to board shuttle bus to downtown.
- The inbound K Ingleside will end at St. Francis Circle. Customers can transfer to a bus to travel to downtown.
- The inbound M Ocean View from Balboa Park will travel through St. Francis Circle and become the outbound L Taraval to serve the L line stops beyond West Portal. Inbound L trains from the Zoo will turn into the outbound M line at West Portal.
- The T Third Street will switch back at Embarcadero Station except the periods between Aug. 17-Aug. 24 and between Aug. 31-Sept. 10 when work will take place at Embarcadero. During these periods, the T trains will end at Folsom Street. Bus shuttle service will be extended to Folsom Street.
- Bus shuttle frequency: approximately every 8 minutes.